Overload of Mangalitsa Jowl

I had a picture message from Chef Windus today and was not pleased with what I saw. The weight of the 2 massive mangalitsa jowl that I had hung in the curing chamber caused everything to come crashing down on itself. I am told that nothing was lost during this disaster, but it is still a bummer. I am off today, but Chef is taking care of putting it all back in. We have had to resort to using thick oven racks thanks to the weight of the lovely mangalitsa (but I'm not complaining). The soppressata will surely be done by the middle of next week, and the coppa feel like they are really starting to lose some weight. Our country ham will come out of the cure on the 24th and we are planning to cold smoke it with white oak for 18 hours or so. Until then....

After the accident....














On the left is 20lbs of Mangalitsa Guanciale which caused the accident!!

5 comments:

  1. Pigs normally ruin stuff when they are alive, but here you can, if they are big enough, they'll ruin things even when they are dead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's no big deal, Brian. Everything should be fine. Jowls look great, mine's done and ready to be used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can only hope to one day have the problem of too much wieght for my curing fridge to hold. Glad to hear everything was okay. Nice looking jowls by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 人生的光榮,不在永不失敗,而在於能夠屢仆屢起。 ..................................................

    ReplyDelete